Pages

18 August 2011

Balamban Liempo, Oh My!

FEAST your eyes on this divine embodiment of porktastic pulchritude, because I already feasted on it after taking this shot:


After a friend had recommended that I try this spit-roasted gem from Cebu, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the company had opened a branch at Kamuning, en route to my son's school. Bingo.

According to some reviews I've read, the product costs Php180, but upon reaching the store I found out that the price was jacked up to PhP220 for a whole slab. A half-slab costs PhP120 but it was a dinky little 3- to 4-inch cut that would only be good for about a meal and a half. So a whole slab it was.

At first glance, the slab didn't look much, but when the server started hacking at it, there was plenty of meat. Juicy, pink, succulent meat. And this meat was stuffed with a special herb mixture, one of which was spring onions. Their rich aroma wafting from the chopping block was to die for.

Lugging the pack of liempo during my 45-minute ride home was sheer torture -- I couldn't wait to tear into it. I may as well have been subjected to an EQ test.

Pork me now!

Finally, after snapping a few photos (thus prolonging my agony), I dug in. It was scrumptious! The crackling rind was satisfyingly crunchy, followed by tender pork meat, bursting with warm fatty, herby juices. The fragrance of steamed onion and lemongrass leaves filled my head with each bite. If I weren't watching my cholesterol intake, I would have inhaled at least half of the lot in one sitting.

A few things, though -- the preparation is reminiscent of Ang Manok Ni Sr. Pedro, which is spit-roasted chicken stuffed with similar herbs, and is equally flavorful. The stark difference between the two (aside from the obvious chicken vs. pork contrast) is the price. Balamban Liempo is considerably more expensive, but at least you don't have to contend with bones.

Also, the liempo I purchased had pinker meat than the usual beige I am accustomed to. Although the initial tasting revealed that the flesh was indeed cooked, I felt a little safer giving it a quick turn in an ungreased Teflon pan.

All in all, the Balamban Liempo does live up to its hype and is well worth the purchase. I have yet to try the Cebu original, and only hope that its urban franchises do it justice. Will I buy this again? Yes, but not until I detox first.

If the following areas are accessible to you, and if you like pork and onions, you might want to try this crispy-juicy Cebuano delicacy. Your cardiologist can wait.

===============

PROJECT 4 – 20C Lakandula St. Project 4 Q.C. (beside SureSafe water station (63)9228253242

ANONAS – 76 Chico St., Project 2, Q.C. (near 7-11) (63)9237160522; (632)4827976

KAMUNING – 95 Kamuning Road Q.C. (in front of Brownstone Bldg.) (632)4847976

QUEZON CITY - 78 Mother Ignacia St., Barangay Laging Handa, Q.C.

E. RODRIGUEZ – Garcia's Supermarket, 274 E. Rodruiguez Ave., Q.C. (632)4837976

BATASAN HILLS - 12A Filinvest 1 Road 1, Batasan Hills, Q.C.(632)4827682

CONCEPCION – Parco Supermarket, Bayan-Bayanan Ave., Barangay Concepcion Uno, Marikina, Metro Manila (63)9334507430; (632)9486581; (632)9483620

KAPITOLYO - 6A San Rafael St., Brgy Kapitolyo, Pasig City (63)9188089098;(632)5848151

METROWALK – Metrowalk Commercial Complex Outlet, Pasig City (parking lot, near Pancake House) (632)8064493

GREENHILLS - 1st Floor Promenade Walkway, Greenhills Shopping Center, San Juan (near VirraMall) (63)9178100574; (632)2150393

UST - UST Carpark Building, Manila (63)9228787351

No comments:

Post a Comment